Team and Technology
Mojeek was created to provide a globally competitive and genuine alternative search engine based in the UK, and from the outset one that didn't track its users nor simply retrieve its results from another engine (i.e. to provide real alternative results).
Mojeek's technology has been developed entirely from scratch by Marc Smith, mostly using the C programming language, and uses no pre-existing search or web crawler technology. All technology and IP is fully owned by Mojeek Limited.
Mojeek runs on servers that are part of our own built and managed infrastructure, all housed in a green data centre in our own dedicated and secure room.
- 2004: Mojeek launched on 2 donated servers, on broadband, from Marc's bedroom!
- 2005: One of the first search engines to provide custom search: Have it your way with the Mojeek search engine
- 2006: First search engine to allow theme'ing of custom search: Mojeek adds customization to personal search
- 2009: Accepted first investment from a private investor (£50,000).
- 2011: Mojeek mentioned in a parliamentary debate: Hansard Debate on UK Search Engines
- 2011: After a complete rewrite (I know, I know), moved new servers into a datacentre for the first time!
- 2011: New index starts being crawled and built from scratch.
- 2012: New Mojeek launched: UK Company Launches Brand New Search Engine
- 2013: Received first major investment from group of private investors (£250,000).
- 2014: Set new personal record of adding over 5 million new pages to our search index in a single day.
- 2015: Mojeek's founder appears on BBC World's Global show and Radio 5 Live.
- 2015: First and only search engine in UK and one of just a handful worldwide to search over a billion pages!
- 2016: Mojeek secures funding to double its current index size.
- 2017: Mojeek demos the world's first emotional web search.
- 2018: Mojeek secures further funding to expand its team.
- 2018: Mojeek passes two billion page milestone.
- 2018: Image Search and Knowledge Box Launched.
- 2019: Launched the Search Engine Map website.
- 2019: Added 100 more web servers.
- 2019: Mojeek gets a new logo.
- 2020: Mojeek hires CEO and expands team.
- 2021: Mojeek indexes over 4 billion pages.
- 2022: Mojeek Community launched
- 2022: Mojeek adds Search Choices
- 2022: Mojeek passes 5 billion pages
For further information, please contact us.